Search This Blog

Thursday 5 August 2010

Health or Vanity?

Ok I know this post is going to cause a bit of controversy and it has taken me a while to write it as it is me admitting I'm wrong. 
For the past few years I have used sunbeds, mainly to get a colour for summer even though I have really fair skin and thought nothing of it. I've ingored all the warnings and always thought it will never affect me but now it has. Not me directly but my nanny (my mum's mum) has just been diagnosed with skin cancer and is far from a sun worshipper, infact quite the opposite. Thank god she's now had the all clear and is ok, it has got me thinking that maybe we shouldn't think we are so invincible.
I come from a family of sun worshippers and always thought my mum, aunties and uncles looked healthy and bronzed when infact they are doing irreversible damage to their skin, as I have done myself in the past few years. 
The thing I am most ashamed about and the reason it has taken me so long to come to write this is because I still use them.
Knowing how dangerous they are and the damage they do, I can't resist the buzz of feeling bronzed. Although I only go on once a week, I know that using them even just once a month can double your chances of skin cancer. I definitely wouldn't say I have an addiction to them but honestly, it's the only way I feel attractive. I have the utmost respect for naturally pale girls such as Nicola Roberts, Dita Von Tease and Karen Gillan but it just doesn't suit me.  I really hope I can write soon and say I've hit the bottle (of fake tan) and put my health infront of vanity.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're trying to dump the sunbeds - definately not worth it! Health should come first.

    ReplyDelete